Timeshare Buyers FAQ’s
Looking For Answers?
Timeshare Buyers FAQ’s
Looking For Answers?
We, at Doctor Timeshare, understand how confusing it can be to sort through the options in the timeshare resale market. This need for information is why we have developed this Frequently Asked Questions page.
The concept of a timeshare is to buy the annual use of a high-standard holiday apartment or villa. You specify the time of year, and the property at a given resort can be yours exclusively each year, either for a fixed term or in perpetuity.
When you own a timeshare you can “deposit” your week in a vast computer bank to exchange with other timeshare owners via Interval international, the exchange organization that Marriott is affiliated to. You can then enjoy a different holiday in another part of the world each year, all paid for in advance because of your timeshare holding. So, all you have to do every year is pay a realistic maintenance fee, pay for your flights and enjoy your holiday.
A timeshare resale is simply one that is being sold by the current owner rather than by the resort usually at a price lower than the time-share’s original retail value.
If an owner has purchased a timeshare from a developer and wishes to no longer own their ownership as outlined within their agreement, they have a number of options available to them. One of these options is to sell their ownership to another person, hence the term Resale.
Imagine you are a timeshare developer and you’ve just built the most amazing luxury resort. Not only you have to sell each unit but also you need to sell 52 weeks to keep each unit occupied through the year and start making your money back. But how you are going to make all those sales? This is where the good old timeshare presentation comes in. Timeshare developers need a constant stream of sales and customers. Hiring a crew of pushing sales people and paying them large commissions to use high pressure sales tactics to extract as many sales as they can is usually the developer’s only marketing strategy.
With this model the Developers have to find ways to induce people to come and learn about their product. In some cases it is a golf or spa voucher, or perhaps an incredibly discounted 3 days-2 nights vacation at one of their resort properties. In order to cover these massive marketing cost, the price of the ownership is inflated too much higher that its true value.
So what’s the notable difference? You are saving thousands of euros by buying a timeshare resale!
A timeshare resale is not a copy product! You’re simply taking over an existing timeshare membership from an owner that, for a legitimate reason, is simply not interested in keeping it.
Your Marriott resale ownership(s) will thus work for you in the same way when staying in your home resort and exchanging to other resorts worldwide. The only slight difference is that you will not be eligible to enrol your resale week(s) to the Destination Club points-based internal exchange program or trade it for Marriott Reward Points to use for hotels.
We also often have people asking if resale owners are treated differently or get the worst rooms. No! Marriott’s Owner Services deals professionally with all owners, no matter where or how they purchased their timeshare ownership(s). There is also no preference given to bookings or exchanges for those that purchased at the full price directly, over and above owners of resale ownerships.
– MARRIOTT’S DESTINATION CLUB POINTS® is a point-based timeshare product introduced by Marriott on June 2011. Instead of owning a weekly share in a specific Resort and Season, members will own points to book individual nights (subject to availability) in the 56 Marriott Vacation Club Resorts worldwide and various travel options such as cruises, group tours and safaris.
However, this new vision of timeshare is not as successful as Marriott would have expected — Indeed, contrary to what the Marriott Sales rep. may have told you, your timeshare week converted to points will never provide you 7 days in every season, apartment size or even a Cruise or Safari! To get a more precise idea, we invite you to review the following Points charts: 2018 Vacation Club Points Charts.
Here are some examples of how many Destination Club Points are required to achieve your holidays:
– 7 nights in October (Gold Season) at Marriott´s Club Son Antem in a 2 bed requires 3950 Destination Club Points.
You can buy a 2 bedroom Gold Season membership at Marriotts Club Son Antem direct from Marriott (for around €16,000) and allow you to exchange only 2925 Destination Club Points, meaning like for like you would not get the full 7 nights! On the other hand, you can buy a resale for under 2,500€ and still use it for the full 7 nights at any time in the Gold Season and to also exchange for 7 nights into the 56 Marriott Vacation Club resorts as well as 3000 worldwide resorts.
– 7 nights in August (Platinum Season) at Marriotts Marbella Beach Resort in a 3 bed requires 5450 Destination Club Points.
You can buy a 3 bedroom Platinum Season membership at Marriotts Marbella Beach Resort direct from Marriott (for around 35,000€) and allow you to exchange for 3925 Destination Club Points only!
Again, you can buy a resale for under 13,000€ and use it for a full 7 nights at any time in the Platinum Season and to also exchange for 7 nights into the 56 Marriott Vacation Club resorts as well as 3000 worldwide resorts.
Like for like comparisons generally show that from your timeshare ownership, you will need much more Destination Points to achieve the same holiday you can get when exchanging your week. That being the case in most comparisons the majority of European members choose not to enrol into the Destinations Club Points program option and continue to exchange 7 nights for 7 nights.
We thus recommend Marriott’s Destination Club Points program to owners with 4 weeks or more that generally do not use their home resorts and take the majority of their holidays in America.
The length of the ownership will depend on the resort in which you purchase.
Marriott’s Playa Andaluza ownership is until: 2052
Marriott’s Marbella Beach Resort ownership is until: 2076
Marriott’s Club son Antem, Mallorca, ownership is until: 2078
Marriott’s Village d´lle de France, Paris, ownership is until: 2082
Marriott’s Phuket Beach Club, Thailand, ownership is until: 2081
Maintenance fees are the annual charges which you pay when you own a timeshare interest. The annual maintenance fees, are the owner’s assurance for the upkeep of the resort in which they own. The fees are usually billed by the management company of the resort in which the owner owns the timeshare interest, or by the owner’s committee. Maintenance fees are generally evaluated by the number of units and weeks at any one given resort, coupled with the common areas, facilities and operating costs.
Marriott will send you the bill for your annual dues between November and December, and payment is due in January of the following year.
Before you buy any timeshare ownership, it is important to understand how owning a certain “color season” will affect how you will be able to use your timeshare ownership.
Timeshare Season may, in some part, have to do with the weather but these seasons are directly aligned with the demand of a given week in the year. The number of visitors and owners of a particular week create the demand and in turn, dictate what season that week will fall under. High demand weeks experience a large amount of people that want to travel to a specific resort during a specific week.
Marriott Vacation Club designate these seasons with colors such as Silver, Gold, Gold-Holiday and Platinum to distinguish between high, intermediate and low demand weeks.
- Platinum Season (April/July/August): Allows you to travel all year round in any of the 56 Marriott Vacation Club resorts – Perfect Season for family with kids with a need to travel during the Summer holiday period.
- Gold-Holiday Season (February/June/July/October/December): This Season is available only in certain amounts of Resorts and also coincide with Winter, Spring, Fall and Christmas European school holidays.
- Gold Season (April/June/July/September): It is considered as the Mid-Season – Kids are back in school, crowds have returned home, travel costs are reasonable and the weather is still pleasant in most of the European Resorts. Perfect Season for Golfers!
- Silver Season (January/February/March/November/December): It should be seen as a step in the Marriott Vacation Club timeshare system. Certainly this season is quite limited, however, you’ll be able to exchange into almost 3000 other resorts worldwide.
The calendars below can be great for finding what season to buy or just planning your future Marriott vacations. Feel free to download them:
3 bedrooms timeshare ownerships in Marriott’s Playa Andaluza and Marriott’s Village d’ile-de-France are referred to as “lock-off.” A lock-off, sometimes called a lockout, is a unit that can be divided into two separate sections. The owner of a lock-off has thus extra several usage options when it comes to deposit or renting out the ownership.
- Deposit the entire 3 bedroom unit;
- Use one half of the unit and deposit the other half.
- Rent the entire 3 bedroom unit to one party;
- Stay in one half of the unit and rent out the other half;
- Rent out both halves to different parties.
To summarised, a lockoff is like adjoining hotel rooms except in timeshares you’d have 2 kitchens/bedrooms. You can use either or both and deposit them separately or together — A lock off gives you the ability to get 2 weeks of vacation with the one ownership.
As a timeshare owner in the Marriott Vacation Club, the world is your oyster, and every year, you get to choose where you want to go! Your every year usage options are the following:
- Option 1 – Making a Reservation: Book your home Resort either 12 or 13 months in advance (by contacting Marriott Owner Services or through the owner’s login page my-vacationclub.com).
- Option 2 – Internal Exchange: Exchange to 56 Marriott Vacation Club Resorts worldwide (through Interval International – Click here to explore Marriott Vacation Club Resorts locations).
- Option 3 – External Exchange: Exchange to +3.000 worldwide directories, such as Hilton, Hyatt and +80 nations such as Italy, Greece, Portugal, and more (through Interval International – Click here to explore Interval International destinations).
- Option 4 – Banking: Deposit your timeshare week(s) to be saved for a later time.
- Option 5 – Rent-Out: Rent-out your timeshare week(s) to anyone else.
If you have a timeshare ownership and are unable to use it on one given year, you are able to gift it to a family member or friend by way of a guest certificate. You will need to contact your home resort for the information that they require so that the guest using your ownership is expected on arrival of your week. In most cases it will be a simple email to the reservation department with the details of the family member or friend using your allocation.
Marriott Vacations Club lets owners have the option of booking their Marriott reservations online or by phone.
Marriott’s online reservation system my-vacationclub.com is extremely efficient for owners. Within minutes of logging on, you can have your reservation booked and confirmed.
If you have questions about making a reservation or need to make a request for special accommodations, the Marriott Owners Services phone number is the best way to have all of your needs met.
If you would like to speak to a representative for your reservation needs, rather than going online, you may call any of the listed numbers below to book a reservation at your Marriott location:
- Arabic: 00 353 21 730 4407
- English: 00 353 21 730 4444
- French: 00 353 21 730 4404
- German: 00 353 21 730 4405
- Italian: 00 353 21 730 4402
- Spanish: 00 353 21 730 4403
- Australia: 1 800 141 870
- Hong Kong: 800 906 803
- Japan: 0120 924 657/0066 3384 0078
- Malaysia: 1 800 81 7156
- Philippines: 1 800 185 502 61
- Singapore: 800 852 3011
- South Korea: 007 988 521 7541
- Thailand: 02 344 1800
Monday-Friday: 8:30 am – 7:00 pm (Irish Standard Time)
Saturday: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (Irish Standard Time)
With any timeshare it can be a smart idea to book your vacation well in advance to ensure you get the particular week you want. Marriott’s reservation policy allows owners to book either 12 or 13 months in advance.
If you are a single week owner or want to only book a single week, Marriott has a 12 month reservation policy for their Vacation Club locations. It is highly recommended that owners call exactly 12 months in advance of the day of check-in when booking high demand or holiday weeks.
For multiple week owners, you may qualify to book your weeks 13 months in advance. Multiple week owners are allowed to reserve weeks 13 months in advance if two or more of those weeks are consecutive or concurrent.
Remember that 50% of inventory is released to multi-week owners 13 months prior and the other 50% is released 12 months prior to the Thursday before that check-in week.
An example is that if you wanted to book for Friday June 1st, 2018, that week would be available Thursday, June 1st, 2017 with the 12-Month Window (Single Week Reservations) and Monday, May 1st, 2017 with the 13-Month Window (Multiple Week (Consecutive or Concurrent) Reservations).
Please click here to review a list of release dates calendars for all Marriott Vacation Club resorts. These calendars state clearly the first day you are eligible to call for 13 and 12-month reservations for all available check-in dates.
Cancellations made more than 61 days before check-in day will be returned to the owner without restrictions.
Cancellations made less than 60 days prior to arrival will be deposited into the owner’s Interval International account. These late-deposit weeks can only be used within a reservation window of 59 days prior to arrival. However, owners may instead bank their late-deposited weeks with Interval International for exchange for a better chance of availability.
Becoming a timeshare owner with Marriott opens up a whole new world of holiday opportunities, both with Marriott Vacation Club and the respected exchange company, Interval International. Through your membership in Interval International you may exchange your home resort timeshare week(s) for stays at other Marriott Vacation Club resorts, or select from the variety of Interval International resorts available to you.
Interval International provides its members with comprehensive exchange services and a variety of other exciting benefits that offer value and convenience. Interval International has an exchange network of hundreds of resorts in dozens of countries around the world and offers high-quality products and benefits to more than 2 million enrolled families. Their range of accommodation partners includes the biggest and most esteemed names in hotel and resort accommodation.
Interval International Membership Fees
To become a member with Interval International, you must understand that there are fees beyond the additional membership and upgrade fees. Be sure to educate yourself before becoming a member to ensure that it is something that will benefit you and that you can afford.
Interval Basic Membership
In order to be a member of Interval International’s exchange program, you must pay the basic membership fee of $89. This fee will cover you for one full year of membership starting from the day you purchase it.
If you wish to upgrade the discounts and benefits you receive through your Interval International membership, you can choose from two additional levels of membership. You must pay an upgrade fee in addition to the basic membership fee to get them.
Interval Gold Membership
If you choose the Interval Gold, you can get additional benefit which will greatly enhance your holiday experience. Some of the amazing advantages of the gold membership include 24/7 personalised assistance with VIP Concierge, this will ensure that all of your travel arrangements are handled smoothly and correctly.
From purchasing Guest Certificates to receiving special pricing at popular theme parks and other tourist attractions, Interval Gold will help you achieve nothing but the best on your holiday.
The yearly upgrade fee for an Interval Gold membership is $64. Your total Interval Gold membership cost adds up to be $153 per year with the basic membership fee. However, you can choose to purchase a multi-year membership and save money in the process.
|1-Year Gold Upgrade Fee||$64|
|2-Year Gold Upgrade Fee||$128|
|3-Year Gold Upgrade Fee||$163|
|5-Year Gold Upgrade Fee||$256|
Interval Platinum Membership
Interval Platinum is the most prestigious level of membership, giving you incomparable benefits to help you make the most of your vacation time. With Interval Platinum, you can see the world in first class like the rich and famous. You’ll receive exclusive access to more than 600 VIP lounges worldwide along with a companion airfare ticket voucher.
As a Platinum member you’ll get all of the benefits that the Interval International and Interval Gold membership receive, plus much more. Only Interval Platinum members are offered Platinum Escapes –these amazing getaways have crazy discounts and are sent by email from time to time. Platinum members automatically receive €60 off each Getaway, and they enjoy access to some before other members.
The annual upgrade fee for an Interval Platinum membership is $139. With the basic membership fee, your Interval Platinum membership costs $228. You can also save money when you purchase a multi-year Platinum membership.
|1-Year Platinum Upgrade Fee||$139|
|2-Year Platinum Upgrade Fee||$278|
|3-Year Platinum Upgrade Fee||$354|
|5-Year Platinum Upgrade Fee||$556|
In addition to your basic membership fee and an upgrade fee for Interval Gold or Platinum membership, you also must pay an Exchange Fee for each week exchanged.
For an Internal Exchange into the 56 Marriott Vacation Club Resorts, the fee is $124 per week exchanged. For an External Exchange into over 3000 worldwide properties, $154 per week exchanged.
There is no cost for Guest Certificates for Interval Platinum members. For basic members and Interval Gold members, there is a $49 fee per Guest Certificate.
Weeks within the Interval International exchange system are owned by other timeshare owners, so Interval International doesn’t get available inventory unless other Members deposit the vacation you desire. Interval International is only able to confirm your vacation when another member relinquishes the week you want. That’s why most high-demand inventory isn’t instantly available.
If your preferred week is not available, you can place a pending request to ensure you have the best chance of confirming your desired exchange. Those who have placed a pending request will be given priority over Members who call to inquire about availability and don’t place a pending request.
Plus, Marriott Vacation Club Owners enjoy priority when requesting to travel to another Marriott Vacation Club resort, as well as a discounted exchange fee (but the exchange is still facilitated by Interval International).
You thus can search for an exchange four ways:
1. Instant online exchange – you can search for any size unit that your week will match with.
2. Ongoing Search / Pending Request – you can only search for a size unit which is the same as your unit size. EXECPT: If you are using a 1 bd unit and want a 2 bd unit, you can get a 2 bd unit by requesting an exchange into a resort which have only 2 bd units.
3. Deposit First exchange request – you give Interval International your week before they fill your exchange request.
4. Request First exchange request – you keep your week until Interval International finds an acceptable exchange for your week.
As an Interval International member, you also can purchase Getaway weeks – discounted vacations at resorts within the Interval International system – without having to deposit your home resort week.
When available, Getaway reservations can be made without having to deposit weeks or points, and can be made up to one year prior to the check-in date. Interval Gold members receive $25 off Getaways, while Interval Platinum members receive $50 off Getaways, in addition to Priority Getaway viewing.
It is impossible for us to do a transfer of an ownership with any outstanding debt on it. Before the timeshare company will even issue any transfer documentation the ownership must be debt free, with the maintenance fee payments current.
Resort sales people may implicate this as a reason not to buy a resale ownership but to instead buy a membership at full price, be reassured this is not the case.
The money you pay for the resale timeshare is always held in escrow and will not be released to the seller until the completion of the transfer is confirmed.
Yes. Whether you buy a timeshare off the resale market or from the resort developer, you will be responsible for paying maintenance fees on your unit.
The transfer process takes about 90 days to complete; however, it is essential that we follow legal and company requirements and ensure that both parties are fully protected throughout the procedure.
Marriott Vacation Worldwide (MVW) does the transfer of ownership from their head offices in Florida and the process organised in 5 parts:
- Once agreement is reached between you and the seller, our transaction coordinator, will contact you to collect all the necessary information for the contract preparation.
- Before the end of the mandatory 14 days’ withdrawal period, we are asking you to transfer onto the escrow account the full purchase amount. All monies will stay blocked until completion of the transfer of ownership.
- From the moment the funds are placed into the account, the agreements will be sent to Marriott for review, also referred as to “Right of First Refusal” period (ROFR); this typically takes 4 weeks. If Marriott choose to waive their “Right of First Refusal” we can then move on with the procedure and the complete file will then be sent via secured postal mail to MVW in Florida.
- In about another 4 weeks of time, we should receive from MVW a document named Holiday Ownership Transfer Agreement(HOTA). Upon receipt, we will forward it to you and the seller for original signatures. This original signed document should be returned to us and after verification we will send it back to MVW in Florida.
- We’ve now reached the final step of the transfer of ownership procedure and we will have to wait another 4 weeks for MVW to complete the transaction. You will receive to your home address the timeshare ownership certificate(s) and we will wait for your confirmation before releasing the funds to the seller.
Marriott’s timeshare buy back policy is also referred to as Right of First Refusal. Before any Marriott timeshare can be sold, the purchase and selling agreements must be sent to Marriott for review. Marriott has a limited number of days to review the contracts and in that time, if they decided to, they can purchase the property based on the terms of the sales contract. The funds will then be refunded to the buyers, and the sellers will proceed with the transaction, but with Marriott as the new buyer.
On the other hand, if Marriott waive their ROFR, the original sale can proceed. In either case, the sellers will receive the same amount for the sale of their timeshare.
Yes. We would just need to provide Marriott with the following documents:
– Complete Corporate Resolution
– Certificate of Good Standing
– Articles of Incorporation